7 Holiday Electrical Safety Tips

7 Holiday Electrical Safety Tips
The holiday season is here!

Whether you’re hosting this year’s holiday festivities or visiting different relatives throughout the week, safety should always be at the top of your mind. Holiday fun can lead to electrical disasters like shortages, fire and serious injuries. We’ve compiled a list of electrical safety tips that will keep you, your loved ones and your home safe this holiday season.

Don’t overload electrical outlets

Each outlet in your home is designed to handle a certain amount of electricity. Plugging in too many lights or festive decorations into one outlet can create an electrical circuit overload. This can cause overheating, which would then lead to melted wiring and a fire. Try to strategically map out how you can space out plugged in decorations amongst all of the outlets in your home instead of limiting yourself to just a few.

Make sure your extension cords are equipped for their use

Extension cords can be lifesavers when decorating, but they also pose major safety problems. It is easy to overheat your extension cords by connecting devices to them that consume more watts than the cord allows. Additionally, damaged extension cords can cause fires. Double check your extension cords and their tolerance before using them.

Water your tree

If you prefer a real Christmas tree for your home, make sure you water it often! Dry trees pose serious fire hazards, especially with lights strung around them.

Avoid tampering with cords

Be mindful of how your cords interact with your physical space. Your cords should never be pinched by furniture, put under rugs, shoved into small spaces, or attached with nails and staples. Tampering with cords can lead to electrical shock and fire hazards.

Be aware of your kitchen situation

When prepping family meals, make sure you leave all cooking areas as clean as possible, especially when dealing with grease. Likewise, don’t leave combustible objects like towels and potholders near working stove tops. Clean surfaces will prevent potential fires.

Turn off decorations and extinguish candles

Even if you plan on leaving the house for just a few minutes, you need to turn off and unplug all decorations and extinguish any candles in your home. Unattended candles are the cause of 1 in 5 house fires, and decorations can malfunction when you aren’t keeping a close eye on them.

Keep a working fire extinguisher around

Just in case disaster strikes, it’s important to be prepared. Double check that you have a fire extinguisher that works and then run through a plan with your family so everyone in the house knows where it’s located and how to use it. It’s always better to be safe than sorry!

Decorating and cooking are great ways to make memories with your family during the holiday season. However, holiday decorations can be dangerous. Following our safety tips is the best way to ensure your holiday experience is fun, and more importantly, safe.

If you experience an electrical problem, our team at Grounded Solutions is ready to tackle the job. As a locally owned and operated company, we serve the communities of Central Indiana and beyond with pride. Give us a call next time you need a highly trained, full licensed electrician

Stay enlightened with our newsletter!

Plug in and stay up to date on the latest insight, news and updates from Grounded Solutions.